Electrical safety is a must in the kitchen

Electrical safety is a must in the kitchen

Posted: by Stericycle on Aug 06, 2019

The kitchen is a place for families to come together and enjoy a meal and each other’s company – indeed for many, it is the heart and soul of a home. It is also somewhere which has evolved over the years, and the advance of technology has certainly left its mark.

Over the years, we’ve seen an increasing number of gadgets enter the kitchen, making life easier for the person preparing a meal.

But danger lurks beneath the surface. According to research from Electrical Safety First (ESF), the UK’s leading charity on electrical safety, the kitchen is where 94 per cent of electrical fires caused by misuse of appliances occur.

Last year alone, there were 7,067 accidental fires in the kitchen across the UK – which led to 72 casualties or fatalities per month. According to ESF, more than 75 per cent of those incidents were caused by cooking appliances or equipment.

A number of these were caused by genuine misuse, but of course a significant portion can be attributed to a fault with the equipment itself. That means consumers must be extra vigilant, checking and double checking that the products they buy are safe.

Just last month, Whirlpool launched a massive recall of tumble dryers from UK homes due to fire risk. According to the government's Office for Product Safety and Standards, the estimated number of units which were due to be recalled was 500,000.

From a recall standpoint, the difficulty is that not everyone with an electrical product will register it. That makes it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, for manufacturers to successfully recall the potentially faulty product, leading to risks of it continuing to be used in the person’s home.

With these latest figures highlighting the scale of fire risk in kitchens, we would encourage everyone to register their products where possible. That should help to put people’s mind more at ease, knowing that responsible manufacturers will contact them should anything come to light about the products they are using in their kitchen.

It is encouraging to see all sides becoming more and more aware of the potential danger of electrical appliances in the kitchen and we would hope to see the number of fires reported to drop as measures are put in place to deal with these issues.